One of the pestering problems that the current generation faces is to get rid of drug addiction. Recent surveys have indicated that at least one in every hundred people in the world is a drug addict. That is an alarming statistic, and with more and more people becoming addicted at an alarming rate, the populations are going to be hit pretty hard.
Well, there are some scary facts that you need to know about the use of drugs;
- Drugs account for at least 40,000 deaths all across the globe every year, most of them pertaining to driving under influence. This number keeps on increasing by at least 2000 people every year. So, while many may argue that this is primarily due to the lapse in security arrangements and safety in automobiles, there is no doubting the fact that the use of prescription as well as illegal drugs have also led to the rise of people causing accidents.
- In the United States alone, at least seven out of 10 teenagers have become a victim of prescription drugs that they might have received from their friends or their relatives. It is the obvious is of procurement of prescription drugs that make it very easy to abuse in the first place. At least 64% of the teenagers that have started using prescription drugs have found it through the medicine cabinet of their parents or through their friends. Whatever the means of procurement, there is no denying the fact that prescription drugs can cause long lasting damage to the teenagers.
- Over 100,000 people are hospitalized every year due to overdosing in drugs. Out of these 100,000, at least 10,000 people are dead before they can even arrive in the hospital. According to the latest reports, most of them die due to overdosing on painkillers. There are also a percentage of people that end up taking opioid painkillers along with alcohol in order to accelerate the process of death.
- Drugs can lead to financial ruin within five years of rampant use. There are many established households that are now looking at a bottomless pit of debt, primarily due to fuel in their own drug habits with income that was normally kept for a rainy day. Now, they do not have any money to fall back on, and after failing on payments, they had to let go of all their movable and immovable properties. Financial ruin is certain for people that undertake drug abuse.
- Prescription drugs are almost always one of the easiest methods for drug procurement in rural parts of the globe. Since prescriptions can be easily procured from the pharmacy, most of the rural towns have the option of procuring such medications and overdosing on them. With the advent of the Internet and online websites that double up as pharmacies, this process has become very easy. The people can now get their drugs home delivered, and in most countries, it has become a legal source of drug procurement.
Drugs are a huge threat to our society and there isn’t a ton we can do about it, the best we can do is to educate our children and show them the truth about drugs. Also we must pressure our lawmakers to make the right choices and fight the drugs!